Saturday 10 April 2010

If life gives you lemons bake a cake

        I always thought about that phrase if life gives you lemons (which seems to be the case at the mo) make lemonade which is all very well easy to make, refreshing to drink, however cake is sooooo much better so I thought I would share my Lemon cake recipe. 
I'm sure there is lots of version of this yummy cake out there in blogland but this is the one my Mum makes and I love it.

       Recipe

  • 175g Butter softened
  • 175g Caster sugar
  • 2 Eggs
  • 4 tbspn milk
  • 175g Self raising flour
  • Lemon zest unwaxed is best
  • Juice of the lemon
  • Tbspn icing sugar
Cream together the butter and sugar (sometimes I cheat and pop the butter in the micro to soften but not melt).
Gradually mix in the milk and eggs, then fold in the flour and lemon zest. Spoon mixture into a greased loaf or cake tin and bake for 50-60 minutes at 180c/350f or gas mark 4 (or like I do when its golden brown and my skewer is clean)
Just before you remove the cake mix together the icing sugar and lemon juice and pour over cake immediately upon removing the cake from the oven. Allow the cake to cool slightly in the tin then remove and cool completely on a wire rack. Mind you sometimes a sneaky slice has been know to mysteriously disappear before the cake has cooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for being so sweet to comment.